Online Degrees Available at Florida Atlantic University
Florida Atlantic University appears in our ranking of the Top 25 Cheap Accelerated Master’s in Nursing Online.
Florida Atlantic University itself may not be as old as the hallowed, ivy-covered walls of the nations oldest universities, but its 22-to-1 student to professor ratio provides students with the intimate kind of education offered at a small private university and couples it with the prestige of the major research institutions in the United States.
Seven of the university’s departments provide access to online degrees. They are the:
- College of Arts and Letters
- College of Business
- College for Design and Social Inquiry
- College of Education
- College of Engineering and Computer Science
- College of Nursing
- College of Science
The degrees offered are varied. They include:
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies Online
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Public Management
- Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with Early Childhood Education Specialization
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Arts in Geography
These are not the only degrees offered online. There are also many certificates available to either continuing education students or matriculated graduates and undergraduates. The complete slate of online degrees offered at Florida Atlantic University is, as one might think of such at an institution at the forefront of online education, is as extensive as it is renowned. Many of the degree and certificate programs offered are recognized for their excellence by the U.S. News & World Report.
About Florida Atlantic University
Florida Atlantic University opened in 1964, and President Johnson was there to “cut the ribbon.” That was highly unusual, but Johnson echoed a feeling shared by many Americans when he said that education in America shouldn’t just be for rich people’s children but for all people’s children.
The beginning was not the smoothest, however. A hurricane nearly leveled the campus and delayed the start of classes for a week. The first 867 students arrived to see a near moonscape adorned with a single flagpole that was bent double. From this humblest of beginnings, Florida Atlantic University adopted the motto, “Where Tomorrow Begins.”
Even in the 1960s and 1970s, Florida Atlantic University transmitted classes over radio waves. Unfortunately, the technology wasn’t up-to-snuff, then, so the effort to provide distance learning wasn’t fully realized until the 1990s. The university led the way in the burgeoning field of online study, and many schools have copied its successful programs up until today.
Florida Atlantic University is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Additionally, the university has earned the following additional accreditations:
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education
- National Association of Schools of Music
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- American Psychological Association
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration
- Council on Rehabilitation Education
- Council on Social Work Education
- America’s Best Energy Team
- Planning Accreditation Board
- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
Florida Atlantic University Application Requirements
Students applying to be undergraduates must have completed the following unit credits in high school:
- English, four units, three of which must have substantial composition
- Mathematics, four units, one of which must be algebra or above
- Natural Science, three units, two of which must have a lab component
- Social Science, three units
- Foreign Language, two units of the same language
- Academic Electives, two units
Some programs at Florida Atlantic University have different or more extensive requirements than the minimum. Students should research these based on their selected program of study.
Graduate students have admission requirements based on their programs of study too. For example, students who wish to apply to the School of Business must achieve a 3.3 GPA during their undergraduate studies. Prospective students must also achieve at least a 600 on the Graduate Management Admission Test or a comparable score on the Graduate Record Exam. The university prefers the GMAT. Graduate students wishing more information should begin at the Graduate Admissions webpage.
International students must have all of their immigration paperwork in order prior to admittance. They must also provide proof of English proficiency by taking one of the approved examinations that show it. There might be specific requirements for students from certain countries as well. All international students with questions should contact the Office of Admissions for clarification.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The tuition at Florida Atlantic University is calculated by credit hour in almost all cases. Undergraduate residents pay $201.21 per credit hour, which also includes most fees. Nonresidents pay $719.84 per credit hour. Graduate students pay $369.82 if they are residents and $1,024.81 if they are nonresidents. Students at the medical school pay $31,553.75 annually if they are residents and $67,695.80 annually if they are nonresidents. Students should check the entire list of fees on the website.
When it comes to financial aid, all students should begin with the FAFSA. The college and the government both evaluate each student’s needs based on the information included in the FAFSA. Tax forms for both the student and the student’s parents or guardians are also usually required. There are three basic types of aid: loans, grants, and scholarships. Loans, as the name implies, must be repaid-with interest. Grants and scholarships, by and large, do not. Many awards carry stringent achievement requirements. If these are not met, many such awards revert to being loans at a higher interest rate than normal.
Students who want to can also participate in a federal work-study program to earn money toward their tuition. Graduate students can serve as teaching assistants in addition to the traditional work-study jobs in the cafeteria or the college bookstore. International students who want to work on or off-campus should ensure they have the proper work visas prior to admittance to Florida Atlantic University.
TOP 25 MOST AFFORDABLE CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY ONLINE PROGRAMS
30 PROS AND CONS FOR GETTING A FAST ONLINE MASTER’S DEGREE
ARE ONLINE MASTER’S PROGRAMS EASIER TO GET INTO?
5 TYPES OF NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS RECOGNIZED BY THE IRS
89 RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES FOR HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION, AND COMMUNITIES