The healthcare and education systems in America typically provide inequitable solutions for poor communities and people of color.
In higher education, we believe knowledge is power, and informed action is key. Therefore, we have provided this simple resource list containing data, scholarly articles, resources specific to the healthcare field and resources for higher education.
While our list is by no means exhaustive, we hope that you find our resources useful, and that they may spark conversation in your workplace or in your community. Please let us know if you see anything we should add.
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.Nelson Mandela
Nursing Specific Resources
- National Nurses United, which consists of more than 150,000 members across the nation, is the largest unionized professional association of registered nurses in our nation’s history.
- Exploring Race in Nursing aims at educating nursing students on racial inequality and discussing ways to make classroom and clinical learning environments more balanced for nursing students of all races.
- The Nurse’s Role in Addressing Discrimination focuses on ways to eliminate discrimination based on gender, race, and socioeconomic status by improving access to healthcare and improving the quality of health care for all.
- Racism, Social Justice and Nurses is a blog in the American Journal of Nursing that discusses the need for racial justice with special emphasis on recent murders of various black people.
- Increasing Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Nursing to Reduce Health Disparities and Achieve Health Equity is a Public Health Report provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine that focuses on ways to diversify the country’s health care workforce.
- Advancing Equity in Health Systems by Addressing Racial Justice discusses how quality healthcare for all is only possible when racism, equity and white supremacy is completely eliminated.
Vanderbilt University Health Equity Toolkit
- Vanderbilt University Office of Health Equity offers training programs on various topics, including public participation, transforming health care and racial equity.
- Minnesota Department of Health offers various resources for teaching and learning about health equity and what makes for better health care.
- American Public Health Association provides examples and lessons on how to obtain health equity, which means offering every individual the chance to have the highest level of health.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, described as one of the best books of 2010, tells a story of a woman whose cells helped advance modern medicine in many ways.
- Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx is a story covering generations and how they each overcame the trials and tribulations of growing old and living the best possible life.
My Own Country: A Doctor’s Story of a Town and Its People in the Age of AIDS
- My Own Country: A Doctor’s Story of a Town and Its People in the Age of Aids is a story about a small town experiencing its first case of AIDs and how the townspeople handled this issue.
Between the World and Me
- Offered through Amazon, Between the World and Me is a book that reads almost like an autobiography of what it’s like to grow up as a black male in America.
- Sweetness #9 is a novel that describes the effects some products can have on our bodies and ways to eliminate their production without being labeled a whistle-blower.
The Rise and Fall of American Growth
- The Rise and Fall of American Growth talks about the standard of living Americans have come to accept and what can be expected in the future if change does not take place
Ebony and Ivy
- Ebony and Ivy is about a history professor and his tales of slavery, racial issues and how these issues affected colleges and universities nationwide.
Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
- Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic is a book that provides information about a disease that can be transmitted from animal to human and has the potential to become the world’s next pandemic.
The Death Gap
- The Death Gap discusses the difference between the rich and the poor as well as how social and financial standing can affect overall health and mortality rates.
Diversity and Inclusion in Quality Patient Care
- Diversity and Inclusion in Quality Patient Care is an online textbook that discusses diversity in emergency medicine and how to work around this and still improve the quality of patient care.
Understanding and Dismantling Racism: A Booklist for White Readers
- Understanding and Dismantling Racism: A Booklist for White Readers is a book that talks about how white people want to learn better ways to understand how racism and white supremacy can control our minds.
The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.Martin Luther King
For School Nurses
- 6 Ways District Leaders Can Build Racial Equity talks about ways leaders can implement better relations into their communities, especially in the education system.
- Position Brief – Eliminate Racism to Optimize Student Health and Learning is an article by the National Associate of Student Nurses that discusses ways to eliminate racism in the school system with help from the school system, parents and students.
- Racial Equity and School Health talks about how acts of oppression like racism can affect not only a student’s ability to learn but also his or her overall physical and mental health.
- Health Equity: School-Based Health Centers talks about developing and implementing school-based health centers for low-income cities to improve the health and educational outcome of students everywhere.
- Educational Equity is Health Equity is an educational blog that demonstrates how health equity can be affected by educational equity.
- Communities in Action Pathways to Health Equity is a site that talks about the importance of everyone have the opportunity to have the best possible health potential regardless of race or social status.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a government site designed to keep the public aware of diseases, health issues and potential dangers.
- Health Equity: School-Based Health Centers is a site offered through the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion that discusses the importance of implementing school-based health centers to promote better health equity.
- Health Equity: School Discipline Reform and Restorative Justice, a part of the Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics that talks about how adverse childhood experiences can negatively affect the student’s ability to learn and how to decrease them in the classroom.
- City – School Partnerships A Natural Home for Health Equity is a blog that educates young readers on the causes of health inequalities and encourages them to not just question it but try to find a remedy.
- School-based Health Care: Where Health and Education Intersect is a site that helps students find high-quality health care through wellness centers, mobile clinics, adolescent clinics and school-based health centers.
Racial Equity in Higher Education
- Lumina Foundation is an organization focused on providing economic and educational opportunities for students of all color and race.
- American Council on Education site talks about racial inequality in the classroom and talks about why ethnicity still prevails and matters in schools today.
- Leaders Who Ignore Race in Higher Education Perpetuate Racial Injustice discusses how educators and colleges are still using race and skin color as reasons to deny students equal education opportunities.
- Advancing Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education, offered through the U.S. Department of Education, provides information and statistics on students and educational accomplishments by students of varying color and race.
- Racial Justice in Higher Education: Equity vs. Equality talks about the difference between these two terms and offers resources to help teachers and educators bring equality in higher education.
- Achieving Diversity and Meaningful Inclusion in Nursing Education is an informative article from the National League for Nursing that offers ways to improve on nursing education while obtaining a diverse and strong nursing staff.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, a strong advocate for diversity in the nursing staff, discusses ways to implement diversity and equality in the nursing classroom.
- Diversity and Inclusion in Nursing: From the Classroom to the Exam Room is a site that talks about the importance of having complete diversity throughout the nursing program so that patients can have nurses that make them feel comfortable.
- Nurse Diversity and Inclusion are Inseparable is an article that describes the importance of having both inclusion and diversity in the nursing profession so they can provide patients with the best quality of healthcare.
- University of Washington School of Nursing offers information on how nursing colleges can promote diversity and equity by including all students regardless of race or ethnicity.
- The Importance of Diversity in Nursing: Breaking Down Stereotypes and Inclusivity Barriers discusses how important it is for colleges to accept all qualified nursing students and not discriminate based on sex, race, ethnicity, religion or skin color.
- The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is an organization focused on getting Congress to offer protection so that colored people can live safe lives without fear of dying on the streets.
- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is an organization committed to changing laws so that everyone can live safe lives while following the Constitution in how it was meant to be followed.
- Color of Change is an organization that helps create groups and campaigns to promote equality and better treatment for people of color.
- Advancement Project National Office is an organization that works with other similar organizations to promote racial justice and offers protection for those that are in prisons and jails.
- Dream Defenders is a group of young people who all work together to find ways to have a better life with fewer incarcerations, fewer deaths, and a life free from corporate greed.
- Know Your Rights Camp is an organization of people interested in helping black and brown communities be liberated and free from injustice so that they may become leaders in their communities.
- #Cut50 is a group of bipartisan individuals who join leaders together in an effort to decrease the rate of crime and incarcerations across the nation.
- Black Youth Project is a group of individuals who student the culture and attitudes of urban black youths to learn how certain factors influence their behavior and decision making.
- Black Lives Matter is an organization created in 2013 to eliminate white supremacy and build enough power to prevent violence in black communities.
- The National Coalition on Black Civic Participation is a non-profit organization aimed at educating black individuals on government and community laws and encouraging their participation in voting.
- Live Free USA is an organization made up of individuals fighting to improve their communities by providing much-needed services, such as making masks and PPE kits.
- Living Cities is an organization that utilizes community groups and businesses to promote methods that will allow every individual to live the same time of life socially, economically and financially.
- National League of Cities is an organization that acts as an advocate for many cities and the city’s leaders. Their goal is to advance their local government and deal with serious issues in these cities.
- International City-County Management Association (ICMA) is an organization of local government professionals all working together to make their communities better.
- Local Progress is an organization made up of locale elected officials all working together to promote economic and racial justice in all levels of their government.
- Racial Equity Alliance Organization is a national network of individuals committed to helping fight racial injustice and promote equality for all.
- Racial Equity Tools is a site that offers various resources to help racism and provide more opportunities to community members so that they might be able to live safer lives.
- Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence is an organization made up of individuals committed to stopping violence against adults, children and adolescents by providing a network of education and support.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation is an organization that focuses on providing children and families with all the necessary resources to ensure they live healthy and safe lives so they can be successful adults.
- Race Forward is an organization created in 1981 to help identify racial issues so they can work to find solutions to racial inequality for everyone.
- Designing and Evaluating Interventions to Eliminate Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care is an article from the U.S. National Library of Medicine that helps to promote equality and racial equity in the health care system.
- The Art and Science of Integrating Undoing Racism with CBPR: Challenges of Pursuing NIH Funding to Investigate Cancer Care and Racial Equity is a resource used to help raise funds to help decrease inequality in the health care system and provide good health care.
- This article talks about the importance of equality in the health care system since our country’s medical facilities are now being held accountable for every patient’s health.
- Designing and Evaluating Interventions to Eliminate Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care talks about the various factors that contribute to ethnic and racial issues within the healthcare system.
- This article helps recognize the many inequities in the healthcare system and how they’re caused by institutional racism in the medical facility.
- This article studies the existence and basic cause of ethnic and racial disparity in the healthcare system and ways to improve on these issues.
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Quality of Healthcare is an article that describes the complex situation caused by the different treatment people of color suffer in the healthcare system.
- Differences, Disparities, and Biases: Clarifying Racial Variations in Health Care Use focuses on how to identify racial disparities in the healthcare system and change it so that clinical treatment is based on clinical need rather than race.
- This article from the Duke University Press deals with eliminating racial disparities in long-term care facilities like nursing homes and extended living facilities.
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in U.S. Health Care discusses how the quality of healthcare is still affected by racial and ethnic equalities because patients of color are treated differently.
- Cultural Competence and Health Care Disparities: Key Perspectives and Trends focuses on cultural competence and how patients of different races develop different health issues.
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the VA Health Care System: A Systemic Review provides information on research results regarding the quality of health care given to different races in a VA facility.
- This article on the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s website deals with recognizing the issues we currently have regarding racial inequalities in the healthcare system and trying to fix them.
- Discrimination and the Health of African Americans: The Potential Importance of Intersectionalities is a journal that researches the importance of providing African Americans with the same high-quality health care white patients receive.
- In Focus: Reducing Racial Disparities in Health Care by Confronting Racism focuses on the need to recognize the discrimination minorities receive and strive to provide everyone with the same good health care.
- Health Care and the Competitive Advantage of Racial Equity describes how people of color in America receive poorer quality of health care despite providing better healthcare would offer economic and racial improvements.
- How are Racial Equality and Healthcare Interrelated? This article talks about how racial equality is closely related to healthcare yet a large majority of minorities are still discriminated against in healthcare settings.
- Advancing Health Equity: Addressing the Role of Structural Racism tells about how discrimination and racism is deeply embedded in all areas of our lives, including health care and the importance of changes in all these areas.
- Reader’s Guide to Racial Equity in Healthcare provides an overview of how racial equity and inequality occur in all aspects of the health care system and how vital it is that equal healthcare be provided to everyone regardless of race.
- Racial Health Disparities, Prejudice and Violence, an article on the American College of Physician’s website, describes how the discrimination and prejudice that minorities feel in their lives has a negative impact on their overall physical and mental health.
- Achieving Health Equity: A Guide for Health Care Organizations is an article offered by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement that focuses on ways that healthcare organizations can improve the health care they provide in their communities.
- Racism, Inequality, and Health Care for African American talks about the American healthcare system and how the poor health care it provides to African American patients can also affect their health insurance coverage.
- Reducing Disparities in Health Care is an article by the American Medical Association that details how the poor health care minorities receive has an impact on their overall health and their mortality.
- How Can Providers Address Racial Equity in Healthcare? This article offers insight into not only the poorer quality of healthcare provided to African Americans but also ways providers can correct the problem rather than just acknowledge the problem.
- Minority Health is an article provided by the CDC that gives valuable information on how to create equal opportunities for healthcare for minorities.
- Moving to Institutional Equity is a booklet written by the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors and focuses on healthcare equity for all patients regardless of race.
- Racial and Ethnic Health Care Disparities is an article that talks about the importance of providing equal health care to all ethnic and racial groups.